Thursday, September 16, 2010

Everyone is a Journalist??

On dictionary.com a journalist is defined as any person whose occupation is journalism. Hang on a second! Your profession has to be journalism to be considered a journalist? That's crazy. So according to that crude definition, the staff of the Exponent are not considered journalist. If I were to define journalist I would simply say anyone who reports the news, ANYONE! Dan Gillmor seems to agree in his column. He says that people who create media and distribute it could be considered a journalist. I don't take that to mean that he considers anyone a professional journalist, meaning not a journalist by occupation. But I definitely see where he's going with it. I did some photo coverage, see post below, of a car event over the summer and before taking this class I wouldn't have considered myself a journalist but now I see the term is a general one. So individuals like Jamal Albarghouti and myself are definitely amateur journalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment